The Food Law and Policy Clinic (FLPC) serves partner organizations and communities by providing guidance on cutting-edge food system issues, while engaging law students in the practice of food law and policy. Specifically, FLPC focuses on increasing access to healthy foods, supporting sustainable production and regional food systems, and reducing waste of healthy, wholesome food.
With its comprehensive work related to U.S. laws and policies of food donations, FLPC is launching an exciting and first-of-its kind project that will bring its expertise to other countries. In collaboration with the Global FoodBanking Network, FLPC is beginning to research more than a dozen foreign legal systems to better understand how they encourage or discourage food donations. Ultimately, through this partnership and extensive stakeholder engagement, FLPC intends to publish legal guides that communities in these countries can use to better navigate the laws and policies of food donations.
FLPC seeks a research assistant (RA) for a paid position to help with legal research for this project. For the initial phase of the project, our particular focus will be on the laws and policies of Argentina, Chile, and Mexico.
Under the supervision of FLPC staff, the RA may:
- Research tax incentives and dis-incentives for food donations, including VAT, tax deductions and tax credits, and other tax policies
- Research civil and criminal liability related to food donations
- Research food labels and other related food-safety laws and policies
- Work with the FLPC team on drafting and revising country-specific legal guides
- Fluency in Spanish
- Ideally, a thorough understanding of Latin American laws and institutions
- Interest in food and public health law and policy
- Strong writing and research skills
- Enrolled at Harvard Law School
How to Apply
Applicants must submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, and (3) a writing sample to email@example.com.
RAs must have the ability to be employed in the United States. The position is part-time and the time commitment can be flexible.
For more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.